The Atlantean Military was one of the smallest, but strongest militaries in existence on Telus before the Dark Horde. Members of the Atlantean Army participated in large amounts of drills and peacetime training. Atlantean soldiers were at total peace during battle, and were perfectly in step and time with their fellow soldiers. A required training course was also basic psychological training. This training helped them withstand torture and remain motionless for long periods, during actual combat missions, drills, and inspections.
It went through immense amounts of training and as a distinguishing note; all of its soldiers had high magickal reserves, and were very proficient in the use of the various schools of magicka. It had a strict uniform code and a detailed chain of command.
Selection and TrainingEdit
Anyone involved with the Atlantean Military had to have a huge reserve of magicka, or huge magickal potential. All members had to be within a certain age, this age changed depending on the status of the current war. They also had to pass a certain, infamous physical test and be between seven and eight feet tall. The height requirement was the average Nquarian height. The recruits went through one to three years of training. They learned to use modern Nquarian ranged weapons, melee weapons, and contemporary weapons from all major powers. After being given a brief course that covered basic horse riding knowledge, they were tested in who could dismount a fellow member of the Military from his horse the fastest. Their basic psychological training allowed them to endure torture, stand motionless for hours, and it increased their reaction time to orders. During its existence, there were three schools, one for combat training, one for magickal training, and one for strategic learning. The Potentate went to the same instructors, took the same tests, and learned the same things in order to command. If he passed he was allowed to command his own personal fleet in battle, with his flag ship being the "Arrogant Righteousness". This immense vessel had four large fore and rear castles and was continually updated with new and experimental technology.
The military used the unbreakable metal, Sokhas to create its generic longswords, spears, and arrows. The unbreakable metal that the weapons were made of was unusual in its form and therefore was hard to block by most swords. Each regular infantry unit had three throwing knives and one longsword. At a certain level, the officers received one extra sword, this time a short sword, and a Sokhas forged battleaxe. Their Sokhas armour had a chest plate, backplate, two side plates made of Sokhas and Meteoric Iron laced with steel. The Sokhas by itself made up over 99.9% of the armour's protection level. The basic infantry trooper also had a hidden blade or Cutthroat Blade. Both were mass-produced and it was the soldier's choice over which to use.
To pass training and determine where one will be placed, one was issued a series of tests. The tests ranged from "pass/fail", a graded score and physical tests that were simply recorded and put on record. The tests measured intellect, memory, camaraderie, leadership, judgment, and knowledge. The physical aspect tested marksmanship, endurance, strength, speed, combat skills, and physiology knowledge. If you passed, you would enter one of four military sections: Marine (naval or special ground fighting), Cavalry (fighting on horseback), Infantry (from basic infantry to commando), or Officer (commanding either troops, ships, or a section of a ship). If the post you were assigned to was not your preferred one, you could make a written request for a transfer then you had an interview with an official from the branch you wanted to transfer to. There was a slim possibility of being given the option to serve in the Red Guard. This was not usually open and members were invited rather than applying.
The basic branches are as follows:
- Atlantean Army; the ground forces, infantry and most cavalry units
- Atlantean Naval Forces; also known as the Atlantean Navy it comprises all ocean-related, and most of the sailing aspects.
- Red Guard; the unique branch that is charged with protecting all government leaders in the capital city and its suburbs. They also help train other branches.
- Atlantean Intelligence Organization; trains and controls spies and commandos. Provides almost all of the information to the rest of the military.
- Atlantean Historical Division; military historians who are the diplomatic corp. for the military. They have an advanced knowledge of foreign cultures, and of treaties. They are used to make a truce or determine the legality of something if an official diplomat is not present. Most also have a good grasp of tactics, and historical precedent.
- Civilian Corps; the group that contained almost all of the military's architects, engineers, and other jobs that one could have a profession in without military connections.
In descending order (On the left side is the Army, on the right is the Navy)
- Warlord/ High Admiral
- Lieutenant General/ Rear Admiral
- Commandant General/ Fleet Admiral
- Brigadier General/ Admiral
- Colonel/ Shipmaster
- Ensign/ Ensign
- Petty Officer/Petty Officer